Consider the Benefits of Mediation before Litigation
“Discourage litigation. Persuade your neighbors to compromise whenever you can. As a peacemaker the lawyer has superior opportunity of being a good man. There will still be business enough.”
Some cases need to be tried for there to be a real resolution. A compromise settlement in Brown v. Board of Education could have deprived our country and many citizens of needed change. But those cases are few and far between. Lawyers have the opportunity to lead their clients to the best resolution by a realistic assessment of the best approach to resolution.
Benefits of Early Mediation
- Mediation can be an effective tool even before a suit is filed.
- The opportunity for resolution, especially in cases where the parties may have an ongoing relationship, can be enhanced by facilitating negotiation before the conflict escalates.
- A negotiated exchange of information can inform the parties sufficiently to make a settlement decision while avoiding the costs associated with formal discovery in litigation. Use of the mediator to assist in this process can be effective and efficient.
- A good mediator can provide a sounding board for grievances, avoiding the need for a party to have his or her formal “day in court.”
- Avoiding the costs of litigation can provide more funds for settlement and keep attorney fees from driving the dispute.
Is your case ready for mediation? Click here to schedule your mediation or call (239) 213-0033.